Yum! This was the only shot of the amazing meal that we cooked up for T-day. Between the three of us (me Martin, and his sister Sara), we made enough food to feed 2 or 3 times as many people. It was fun though, and I'm proud to say that everything was veggie friendly. We all had Tofurkey for the first time and it was remarkably good (and saved us from having to make stuffing). I made my green bean casserole with all of my dad's special tricks to make it better. Here's the recipe ...
T Menard's Extra Special GB Casserole
- french fried onions - French's is a great stand by and has the basic recipe on the package
- cream of mushroom soup - 1 can
- milk - 3/4 a cup (and real milk works better than soy)
- fresh green beans - as much as you like, but pre-cook them a bit if you don't like crunchy beans
- fresh mushrooms - as much as you like, but try to get small ones
- fresh garlic - one large clove or two smaller ones, minced
I know it's exactly the recipe on the box, but the addition of fresh beans, mushrooms and garlic make a huge difference. The mushrooms get all juicy and wonderful - like stuffed mushrooms without the stuffing. And if you like crunchy green beans like me, then using fresh ones is perfect.
It was so nice to talk to everyone in Mississippi and sounds like you all had a great time there. We missed you all a bunch! I hope that everyone I didn't talk to in Atlanta and elsewhere had a lovely day. I am thankful for all of you and that you're here reading about our expereinces out here in SF.