Monday, August 2, 2010

A bountiful harvest from the farm.

Yesterday, Martin and I bicycled to Alamany Farm, an urban, working, organic farm that is run and maintained by volunteers here in San Francisco. We planted parsley, weeded, wheel-barrowed compost, weeded, played darwin with beets, picked blackberries, pulled beans, weeded, hoed for potatoes and watered freshly planted brocoli plants. Did I mention that we weeded? Actually, I found weeding quite enjoyable as I have long believed that I am much better at killing plants than growing them. In my life, I have managed to over water cacti and under-water just about every other type of house plant.

After almost 5 hours of work, we gathered with the rest of the volunteers and coordinators to share in the harvest for the day. With dirt under our nails, we ate blackberries and chatted about the food and farm as people loaded up bags of fresh veggies and fruit. We took home a lot of lettuce, some spicy greens for salad, a few potatoes, a cucumber, beans, strawberries, a huge squash and some plum-like fruits. Such a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Such a nice way for Martin and me to spend the 4th anniversary of the day we met.

2 comments:

Graham said...

that is a really big ass squash! I hope you guys make something tasty with it!

Unknown said...

Hooray! :)

Also, four years! Congratulations!